Custom Cannabis Labels for California
The California marijuana industry is one of the largest in United State--and the world—and, as such, involves extensive rules and regulations for the labeling of both medical and recreational marijuana products. If you sell usable cannabis or cannabis-infused products in California, it is extremely important that all of your product labels include all the required regulatory information, as well as tamper-proof security features.
Customize Your Cannabis Labels with Specialty Materials and Treatments
Labels for marijuana products are required by state law to meet specific standards. All our cannabis labels are manufactured using the same superior quality materials and custom techniques as our custom wine labels while maintaining the tamper-evident features required by many state laws and regulations.
We print cannabis labels and seals using various specialty finishes and materials including, but not limited to:
Cannabis Label Materials
- Linen and Estate papers
- 70# uncoated felt papers
- Metallic and holographic foils & papers
- PCW (recycled) material options
Label Finishing Options
- Soft-touch finish
- Pearlescent finish
- Gloss High-Build tactile effects
- Metallic, clear and white films
- Veneer/wood finish
For further customization, we also provide surface treatments including sculpted embossing, foil stamping, textured finishes, and more to give your cannabis labels a truly unique look and feel.
Labels West specializes in custom labels, and can provide the perfect labels for your cannabis products. We will work with you to create custom marijuana labels that deliver all the product and consumer information that the State of California requires and provide a unique look that will help your products make an impact in an increasingly crowded field.
California Cannabis Label Requirements
The state’s Office of Manufactured Cannabis Safety (OMCS) has developed the following regulations for marijuana product labels used in California. The requirements listed are not comprehensive, as regulations and requirements may change with little advanced notice. For further details and up-to-date marijuana label regulations, please visit the California Bureau of Cannabis Control website.
- Prior to release of a marijuana product to a distributor, licensees must ensure that the product is labeled and packaged in its final form for sale at a dispensary;
- All required information on cannabis labels shall be:
- Written in English;
- Unobstructed and conspicuous;
- All cannabis product labels in California must include a primary panel that provides the following information in text no smaller than 6-point font:
- The identity of the product in a text size reasonably related to the most prominent printed matter on the panel;
- For cannabis-infused products, the words “cannabis-infused” immediately above the identity of the product in bold type and a text size larger than the text size used to identify the product;
- California’s universal cannabis product symbol, displayed legibly and conspicuously and in a size no smaller than 1/2” by 1/2”;
- The net weight/volume of the product in the package;
- THC content and CBD content for the package in its entirety (in mg/package);
- THC content and CBD content per serving (in mg/serving);
- Content of other cannabinoids or terpenes per serving if such information is verified by the certificate of analysis provided by a licensed testing laboratory;
- All labels for medical marijuana products in California must include an information panel that provides the following information in type no smaller than 6-point font:
- The name of the licensed manufacturer and its contact phone number or website URL;
- The date of manufacture;
- All of the following statements:
- “Schedule I controlled substance”;
- “Keep out of reach of children and animals” (in bold type);
- “For medical use only”;
- “If pregnant or breastfeeding, consult a physician prior to use”;
- “The intoxicating effects of this product may be delayed up to two hours”;
- “This product may impair the ability to drive or operate machinery, please use extreme caution”;
- List of all ingredients in descending order of predominance by weight or volume;
- If an edible product:
- The word “contains” followed by a list of any ingredient, flavoring, coloring, or incidental additive that is or contains a major food allergen, if any;
- The names of any artificial food colorings used in the product;
- The amount (in grams) of sodium, sugar, carbohydrates, and total fat per serving;
- Lot number;
- Instructions for use, including the method of consumption or application and any pre-use preparation requirements;
- “Use by” or “best by” date;
- Unique identifier;
- California cannabis labels shall not contain:
- Claims that the usable cannabis or cannabis used in the product was grown in a California county other than the one in which it was actually grown;
- The name of any California county, unless the cannabis was grown in that county;
- Content that is or may be attractive to those under 21 years of age, such as cartoon characters, any imitation of candy packaging/labeling, or any likeness to images, characters, or phrases that are commonly used to advertise to children;
- False or misleading labeling information;
- Claims of any health benefits or other physical benefits;
- Cannabis labels/packaging shall be tamper-evident so that the contents cannot be opened without obvious destruction of the seal.
Additional Best Practices for California Marijuana Labels
Legal labeling requirements must always be the primary concern
First and foremost, you must ensure that your cannabis labels communicate all the required regulatory information. After these requirements are met, then work on the look or branding of your labels. Legal compliance is mandatory—creativity is secondary.
Choose the right label material(s) for your product’s container
Whether it’s a canister, pouch, or other type of container, your product’s packaging dictates the material needs of your cannabis labels. Labels West works with a variety of label materials, and will help you select the right option for your needs.
Contact Us for Top Quality Custom Cannabis Labels with Turnkey Service
From design consultation and material selection to full-color digital offset or HD-Flexo printing, custom die cutting, and tamper-proofing, Labels West provides start-to-finish custom label service. We will work with you to create the perfect labels for your cannabis products.